- The following information is intended to allow media easy access to pertinent details about Canopy Cove’s program and history. For additional information, feel free to reach out to our office at (850) 893-8800.
- Canopy Cove Eating Disorder Treatment Center was established in Tallahassee, Florida in 1990
- Founder, Dr. Lynda Brogdon, Ph.D., is graduate of Florida State University
- Canopy Cove is one of the earliest specialty centers in the nation with 27 years’ experience providing clients with clinical excellence and compassionate care in the treatment of Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder and all related eating disorders.
- Canopy Cove specializes in treating clients with Eating Disorders who are also struggling with co-existing conditions including trauma, depression, anxiety, self-harm, Obsessive-compulsive issues, and others.
- Clients travel to Canopy Cove from across the country as well as Canada and overseas.
- Canopy Cove Eating Disorder Treatment Center is a licensed Rehabilitative Provider accredited by CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
- Brief History: Shortly after opening her private practice, individuals struggling with eating disorders began to present for treatment. Recognizing the need for specialized treatment for this group Dr. Brogdon began an intensive pursuit of knowledge that could be beneficial in helping those with Anorexia, Bulimia, and Binge Eating Disorders. As one of the earliest advocates in this treatment field, Dr. Brogdon is well respected.
- Dr. Brogdon originally specialized in accepting clients in an outpatient setting with an Eating Disorder diagnosis. Recognizing the increasing need for higher levels of care, and a shortage of treatment options nation-wide, Dr. Brogdon established Canopy Cove Eating Disorder Treatment Center in 1990 and expanded the outpatient treatment to include residential treatment, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient.
- Dr. Brogdon is certified as an Eating Disorder Specialist through the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals.
Canopy Cove’s Treatment Team Includes:
- Internal Medicine Physician (MD)
- Psychiatrist (MD)
- Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Primary Therapist (Ph.D.)
- Registered Dietician (RD)
- Onsite Nursing Staff (LPN)
- Certified Eating Disorders Specialist (CEDS)
General Eating Disorder Details:
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness diagnosis.
- Eating Disorder are diagnosed in children, adolescents as well as adults.
- Eating Disorder Stats Overview: A study by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) reported the following eating disorder statistics:
- One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia.
- Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia.
- As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa
- Eating disorder statistics provided by the National Eating Disorder Association indicate that 10 million American women suffer from eating disorders.
- 10-15% of all Americans suffer from some type of serious eating disorder.